We Happy Trans – E1: Seven Questions
In the first episode of We Happy Trans, we propose seven questions for members of the trans community to engage with. No, they’re not particularly original or provocative, but we have to start somewhere!
Answer all, answer a few, briefly or at length, and post a video response with ‘We Happy Trans’ in the title, or in text via your own blog or even as an email to us. Either way, let us know it’s out there so it can be shared here.
Note: if providing video content, please try to include captions and/or a transcript so that the hearing impaired can also benefit from knowing you!
1) What’s your name? Chosen or otherwise. Now, beyond your name, I personally don’t really care how you identify. I’m not entirely comfortable with defining myself in the terms we’re given, and I kind of enjoying watching my mind struggle to gender someone. It’s an automatic habit, and not one I care to assist. However, if it’s important to you to be know as a trans man or woman, cross-dresser, queer, androgynous, non-binary, or whatever, or if you want people to use certain pronouns when referring to you in comments or discussion, go ahead and lay those on us. Whatever you’re comfortable with.
2) Who has been most supportive of your transition? If you haven’t started transition, who’s been most supportive of your gender expression, questioning or explorations?
3) What do most enjoy about your life since beginning transition? That is, what are some of the things you love doing now, that you couldn’t do before? And if you’re not there yet, what about the possibility of transition excites you the most? What do you look forward to?
4) Who are your trans role models? or Who have you looked up to in the trans community? Who inspires you? Whether it’s someone you know, or someone you’ve admired from afar, this is your chance to give a shout out.
5) What change(s) would you most like to see in the world? This can be trans related, or not, but we’d love to know where your passion lies.
6) What are you doing to make those changes happen? That’s right all, no getting off the hook! We’re all in this big ol’ mess together, and we each need to do our part. Share with us how you’re the change you want to see.
And finally, magical number 7, tell us something, anything, special and unique about you, your interests, your story. Never forget, gender is just one part of the larger project of becoming a fully authentic human being.
That’s it! Make a video of yourself answering these questions, or even better, find a friend to ask you, or best yet, find a trans friend and ask each other. Post your videos to YouTube and include ‘We Happy Trans’ in the title. I’ll keep an eye out for them, but best to send me an email or tweet with a link. I’ll then embed them in the We Happy Trans website.